You know when I finish a workout there is usually 1 of 2 things that happen.
1. I am starving
2. I don’t want to eat
So I decided to review what to eat after working out. Because sooner or later after a workout I get hungry. Here are some of the ideas that I found;
- First make sure you are re-filling your body with water. Most ‘Moderate’ exercises will lose around 4 cups of water while working out. So you need to replace that water. Try drinking at least 16-20 ounces of water. What makes this easy is you can just re-fill that water bottle while heading out of the gym and drink it while you are heading home!
- I loved this one! While you are working out you are burning fat (we know this one ^_^) but when you eat right after working out the body is still burning the fat so it will not use THOSE calories to replace the ones you just burned!
- If you have been strength training for more then 60 minutes (You GO!) then you should try to have at least 10-15 grams of protein.
- Ideally when you do eat after a workout…try to aim of half of the calories you burned. So if you burned 400 calories aim to eat something that is 200 calories.
- Protein Protein Protein. However, it isn’t best to have a ‘solid’ protein. Try getting a liquid one. Either in a shake form or even putting in some ‘Whey Protein Powder’ in that water you are taking on your way home. 2 Birds with 1 stone!
- Dried Fruit & Nutes
- Cottage Cheese with Fruit
- Yogurt with Fruit — Extra Points for Greek Yogurt
- Vegetable Stir-fry with meet or tofu
- Bagel or English Muffin with Peanut Butter